Sunday, February 24, 2008

22 Second Life

SL might be the start of something profound for libraries, as some people claim, but I can't see any real signs of it. A couple of months ago, I got myself a second life account, and managed to navigate my way to info island. I can see that everyone is having a great time over at aphrodite island but I seem to be marooned in the desolate space of info island. In my few sessions, I've only ever seen one other avatar there. Seems like an incredibly cumbersome and haphazard way to find anything.

A recent report from uniserve summed the SL nicely:
"Initial searches for information on the use of SL uncovered a great deal of discussion and
speculation concerning its potential, but disappointingly few examples of actual use in teaching
and learning."
An update of the July 2007 “snapshot” of UK Higher and Further Education Developments in Second Life

I think we need to focus our effort where our users are, and I doubt many of them are on SL.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hear hear!